Reviews and Comparisons of Martin Garage Openers
For most consumers, Martin is a relatively unknown garage door opener brand. Martin garage doors, on the other hand, are very familiar. Martin Door Manufacturing company has been around since 1936 and is one of the top garage door companies in the United States.
When it comes to garage door openers, Martin does not make their own. They are actually made by German-based Marantec America, a specialist in high quality DC-powered garage door openers. Models sold in the United States are German engineered but American made.
Martin Garage Door Openers – A Narrow, Focused Line
While companies such as Chamberlain and Genie make a large number of garage door opener models, there are only 4 models of Martin garage door openers. All feature quiet and powerful DC motors with three belt drive models and one chain drive. If you want a screw drive garage door opener, you need to look to another company like Genie.
Martin maintains that their garage door openers are designed specifically for Martin garage doors, but they can be used on any type or brand of garage door. If you are in the market for a garage door, remember that Martin door technicians will be most familiar with Martin garage door openers, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Martin Garage Door Opener Models
|Martin Model DC3700e
Garage Door Opener
With only four models, it’s easy to choose one that works for you.
- The DC3700e is a 3/4 HP* belt drive model with a lifetime warranty on the belt, motor, rail and parts.
- The DC2500e is a 1/2 HP* belt drive model with a 15 year warranty on the belt, motor, rail and parts.
- The DC2722, a 3/4 HP* (800 Newtons) chain drive model with a 6 year warranty on the chain, motor, rail and parts. This is the newest in Martin’s line, release on July 1, 2010, and is suitable for garage doors from 7 to 10 feet high.
- The DC3700HD, a 1 HP* belt drive model specifically designed for heavy garage doors. If you have a solid wooden garage door or a carriage house garage door, this may be the model for you. It carries a lifetime warranty on the belt, motor, rail and parts.
As you might imagine, different models include different accessories. From one remote control transmitter to two, and from a one button doorbell-style door control to a deluxe wall console, be sure to confirm what is included and what must be purchased separately.
*The lifting power of DC motors is measured in Newtons of force, from 500 to 1000, depending on the model you purchase. Stated HP ratings are comparable to AC powered motors.
Notable Features for Martin Garage Door Openers
- German Engineered but American Built (for USA models)
- Powerful and Quiet DC-Powered Openers
- Soft Start and Stop for Longer Garage Door Life
- Belts are Quiet and Reinforced with Steel (like steel radial tires)
- Soft-Touch Reverse Technology™, exclusive to Martin
- Digital Intelligence Monitoring System
- Generous Warranties
Martin Safety, Security and Warranties
|Martin Model DC3700HD
Heavy Lift Garage Door Opener
One of Martin’s unique features is their Soft-Touch Reverse Technology™, an exclusive for Martin. If during the garage door’s closing cycle it encounters an obstacle, even a soft touch, the door will reverse. If during the door’s opening cycle it encounters a soft touch, it will stop.
This exclusive technology eliminates the need for infrared photo electric eyes on garage doors weighing up to 420 pounds. For heavier doors and on the models DC2722 and DC3700HD, photo eyes are standard equipment.
With DC powered motors comes quiet operation, reliability and soft start and stop operation to extend the life of your garage door. Martin garage door openers are also designed with “Digital Intelligence,” a feature that monitors constantly the force necessary to open and close the garage door safely.
As is the case with most manufacturers, remote controls and wireless, keyless entry keypads use rolling code technology. With billions of code possibilities, the likelihood of an unwanted “code grabber” stealing your remote codes is highly unlikely. Martin warranties are generous and comprehensive, from 6 years to Lifetime. Warranties cover the motor, belt or chain, the rail and parts.
Buying Martin Garage Door Openers
Martin sells their garage door openers through Martin garage door dealers exclusively. Installation is done by professional technicians, but some parts are available through other retail outlets. For example, you can buy replacement remotes and wireless keyless entry keypads at Amazon.com.